Wednesday, September 30, 2020

How I Cope with Depression During Pandemic

 I have always wanted to start something. I wanted to write. But I am quite stuck up and don't know where and how to start. 

But I guess I just need to write whatever that comes in my mind. No topics. Just pure thoughts I need put in paper. 

I've been wanting to serve as the salt and light on earth most especially in this time of pandemic. Mental stress, anxiety and depression is inevitable. All of us are vulnerable. You are and I are not exceptions. 

So I ask myself.. Did I do something to combat depression and mental stress that I think will help others? 

I guess I had to record the obvious symptoms that I am experiencing depression and anxiety. Most of the time I would rather feel useless, all of  a sudden get frustrated over nothing. I fear the future on what is going to happen to me, thinking, what if one of these days I will get sick? Sometimes, I just felt that I want to be alone, don't want to talk, and just want to listen to music all night long. But I am a Christian right? Even a follower of Jesus is not invincible. However, I would say that having faith in Jesus is a huge factor that you will eventually overcome depression and anxiety. 

Here are some practical ways that I thought helped me go over with it. I'm struggling to have it from to time to time... I learned that no matter how hard you struggle, you have an option to fight it out. It's really a tough battle. But I trust that the LORD is fighting for me. 

.1. Prayer. Nothing beats prayer. I still struggle to pray, but prayer is the best medicine. 

2. Worship. Listening to worship songs easily energize and nourish my soul. It reminds me that God is in control of the situation and I will be reminded that God is bigger than our problems. 

3.  Talk to my few trusted friends. Sometimes, letting it out is also a struggle because we are afraid that we will be judged. But asking help from your friends whom you know will encourage and lift you up will give you strength.

4. Picture throwback. This is not really a popular method because having pictures that brings back good memories will trigger your depression, thinking on how you wish you could go back to the past. It maybe a double edged sword but for me, it helps me to feel even more blessed, appreciating the things I have. 

5. Reading the Bible. The Lord's promises are in the Bible. Whenever I feel discouraged, I will ask the Lord to reveal his word to me. Whenever I struggle to read the bible, I will listen to audio Bible or listen to podcast. 

6. Write journal. This is specially effective if you really don't have the energy to talk to someone but you're on your limit to hold back. Let your mind run wild with no inhibitions through writing. Nobody knows it except God, you, and your journal. 

7. Ask others to pray for you. It's ok to say it on facebook "can you pray for me because I am not ok?" But if you think you don't trust your friends in FB, then don't do it. 

8. Reach out to someone who is in need. I know you are having troubles on your own, but sometimes, you will feel refreshed and inspired when you encourage someone even yourself needs to be encouraged as well. 

9. Reduce your time in social media most specially facebook. Unless you've unfollowed and unfriended your toxic fb friends, they will be a major source of your depression. Don't get too consumed. 

I would suggest also that you go out, read your favorite books, watch or re-watch your favorite movies. I sometimes do this to cope. 

No comments: